RECAP: Saint Louis FC v San Antonio FC

RECAP: Saint Louis FC v San Antonio FC

St. Louis, MO – In the first ever showdown between Saint Louis FC and San Antonio FC, it ended up being a disappointing night for Saint Louis.

A sold-out crowd of 5,262 witnessed a frustrating game at World Wide Technology Soccer Park that saw Saint Louis FC lose 2-0 to San Antonio FC. With the defeat, Saint Louis fall to 7-10-8 (29 points) and further away from the Western Conference playoff race.

Saint Louis FC started strong with the lion's share of the early chances. FC looked to have the lead in the 5th minute when Irvin Herrera headed in a corner, but the goal was chalked off after Herrera was judged to have shoved his marker in the back. Sebastian Thuriere opened the scoring for the visitors in the 12th minute. The goal resulted from a Saint Louis defensive error and the San Antonio midfielder made no mistake with a well-placed chip over STLFC goalkeeper Ryan Thompson. St. Louis' troubles were doubled right before halftime when Rafa Castillo placed lobbed a shot over Thompson again to give San Antonio a commanding lead at the break.

Saint Louis FC had ample opportunities to find a goal in the second half, but it just wasn't the hosts night as SAFC goalkeeper Matt Cardone made 7 saves to keep STLFC off of the scoresheet.

Saint Louis were given a glimmer of hope late on when the referee awarded them a penalty kick deep into stoppage time . But it wasn't to be as Cardone dove to his left to deny Herrera from the spot and seal a 2-0 win for the visitors

 "It's hard to take, we had a lot of chances, and their goals were scrappy mistakes on ourselves, we created a lot more chances, we just didn't finish them,"  said STLFC captain Chad Bond.

Tonight was a big opportunity for Saint Louis to pick up crucial points in an already tight race for the playoffs. The task of reaching the playoffs may not be out of reach but the challenge seems to be greater and greater with only 5 games remaining in the season. "We just got to keep going, we can't let it get us down," said Bond.

Head coach Tim Leonard said – "We had good spirit, I mean right off the bat we fought hard and got after it.  We should've had a couple goals, and then just a cheap giveaway took some steam off of what we had going early on.  We responded a little bit in the middle of the game and the second goal makes it really tough on us.  It was a tough result but we got to get back after it for Wednesday."

Saint Louis FC will be back in action this Wednesday, August 31st against Oklahoma City Energy. For more information, go to Saint Louis FC or call 636-680-0997.