STLFC Win 4-3 Over FC Wichita in Dramatic U.S. Open Cup Second Round

STLFC Win 4-3 Over FC Wichita in Dramatic U.S. Open Cup Second Round

Wichita, KS – Saint Louis FC came from behind to win 4-3 against FC Wichita in a thrilling U.S. Open Cup Second Round match on Wednesday night.


In a game that had everything in the second half, late-substitute Tyler David was the hero as his goal deep into regular stoppage time forced the extra time Saint Louis FC needed to keep their U.S. Open Cup run alive.  Jose Angulo scored the second goal for the away side in the 71st minute and the eventual game winner in the 95th minute of extra time, redeeming his penalty miss in the final moments of the second half that looked to seal the win for FC Wichita.


The first half started with a shock as FC Wichita earned a penalty which was converted by Leo Sosa in the 6th minute.  Saint Louis FC equalized thanks to a powerful header from AJ Cochran following a corner kick in the 33rd minute.  FC Wichita goalkeeper Weirs made a number of great saves in the first half to keep the score even at 1-1 going into halftime.


The second half started as an open affair with both teams creating chances in the early minutes of the half.  FC Wichita regained the lead with a goal in the 61st minute after Catarina’s long range shot deflected off the crossbar and was turned in by Gerson.  Saint Louis FC equalized from another corner in the 71st minute, this one turned in by Angulo.  Soon after, FC Wichita seemed destined to win following a rocket shot from 25 yards out by Deri Corfe that found the top corner in the 81st minute.  Drama then ensued in stoppage time as Colton Haskin of FC Wichita was sent off for deliberately handling the ball to save a goal in the 91st minute and gave Saint Louis FC the opportunity to equalize from the penalty spot.  Angulo stepped up and missed his first penalty of the season which seemed to give FC Wichita the win.  However, Tyler David would keep Saint Louis FC’s hopes alive with a headed goal in the 96th minute to force extra time.


In extra time, the man-advantage proved too much for the determined FC Wichita squad and they conceded in the game winner from Angulo in the 95th minute.  Despite chances for both sides, Saint Louis FC would see out the dramatic victory and advance to the next round of the U.S. Open Cup.  They will face the Michigan Bucks away in the Third Round on May 31st at 6:30pm CT.